Today is Brother Don's 80th birthday. How I wish I could pick up the phone, sing happy birthday, and reminisce together about old times. I can just hear his upbeat, cheerful voice in my mind -- "Sister Laura!! How are you and how's that cute baby of yours?"
----
It was a beautiful April morning in Ohio. A Saturday. Sister Olney and I pulled up to Ruth Drive in Rootstown. The sun was shining and I knew we were going to have a good day. I can still recall the smell and feel of the cool spring air as we stepped out of the car. Little did I know how much this day would change my life; how it would change the lives of many.
Ruth Drive. That street often stood out to me as we prayed during our nightly planning sessions and looked at our area map to decide where the Lord wanted us to go the next day. Someone special must live on Ruth Drive. But for some reason my companion and I never felt that street at the same time. So we never went.
When transfers came and I was paired up with a brand new missionary, I knew we needed to go to Ruth Drive. And on Sister Olney's first Saturday in Ohio we were able to do just that.
4212 Ruth Drive. It was my turn to knock. An elderly gentleman answered the door. There was a kindness and a sparkle in his eyes that immediately reminded me of my Grandma Self, who had died 11 months prior. I liked him already. I can't remember what I said, but I do remember feeling the spirit. He was on his way to the grocery store, and didn't have time to listen to our message. I offered him a Book of Mormon and invited him to read, pray, and ask the Holy Spirit if it was true. And then I asked for his phone number. He later said it was those two things -- mentioning the Holy Spirit and then getting his number so we could set up an appointment -- that made things different from the previous times when missionaries had knocked on his door.
Indeed, there was someone special on Ruth Drive. Don Kearley was a devout member of Ravenna's Assembly of God. He was quite the scriptorian too. But it bothered him that his church had recently changed some key points of doctrine. He knew that truth was constant, so these gradual changes didn't sit well with him. It was at this time that we met him.
He was definitely prepared and ready to accept the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.
How grateful I am to call Brother Don my friend. He is like an adopted grandpa and I will always be thankful for the blessing of meeting him in "the Ohio".
As much as I miss Brother Don, I am so incredibly happy for him. This year he celebrates his birthday in a much better place, with his sweet wife by his side.
After patiently suffering through a host of medical challenges -- cancer, a heart attack, living in a rehabilitation center to re-learn how to walk -- Brother Don miraculously recovered and was taken off hospice. On July 25th he was able to go the Columbus Temple for the very first time and partake in the most glorious of blessings. The temple work was completed for his wife as well, and they were sealed.
He called me the following Saturday, July 28th, to share his joyous news. I have never heard him happier. We cried together over the phone as he recounted how he had purchased his temple clothes five years prior and had been all set to go, and then was diagnosed with cancer and began treatments. It was one thing after another. He ended up having to wait a full five years! But he made it. And that's what matters. He is an amazing example of faith and trusting in the Lord.
Brother Don passed away peacefully on July 30, 2012. Just five days after he went to the temple. Losing a dear friend is never easy. There are still times when it hits me and I just sit and cry. But I take great comfort in the plan of happiness and look forward to the day when I can see him again. I know how much he wanted to meet Brooklyn, and one day that will happen. :)
Oh how I love and miss you, Brother Don!
4 comments:
I am sitting here crying. That is a beautiful tribute to a very special friend. Brooklyn will have extra angels watching over her with Brother Don and his wife on her side! WE LOVE YOU! Thanks for sharing this!
What an amazing life experience for you - him - your family to remember forever. Wow! Tears to my eyes!
I'm so glad you shared this. It seemed extra special having just watched the Brigham City temple dedication on Sunday.
What a neat friendship from your mission. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment